Make Cannabis Tincture The Old Fashioned Way
Did you know, until 1937 cannabis tincture was sold in the USA as medicine? Cannabis tincture is also one of the oldest forms of marijuana in medicinal form, being used in various cultures for centuries as a curative tonic. But it’s also a great way to enjoy weed without smoking. This guide will teach you how to make cannabis tincture the old fashioned way.
A cannabis tincture is a marijuana extract in which cannabinoids are suspended in alcohol or vegetable glycerin. You can mix it in drinks, use it for cooking, or apply it under your tongue using a medicine dropper.
Note: If you are making cannabis tincture for medicinal purposes, be sure to select strains that will best suit your needs.
- Food processor or grinder
- Cookie sheet or oven-safe dish
- Mason jars with fitted lids
- Cheesecloth or fine screen
- Large bowl
- Medicine dropper
- Food grade glycerin
- 1 ½ oz of good trim or 1 oz of flower (or enough to fill mason jar ¾ full), you may add additional kief to increase potency
- Flavoring (optional, but who doesn’t love sour apple flavored anything?)
Directions To Make Cannabis Tincture
- Fill the mason jar with weed until it is about ¾ of the way full.
- Pour glycerin into the jars.
- Wait then add more as the liquid settles into the jars.
- Repeat until the weed is completely submerged.
- Tightly fit lid to jar and shake jar for a minute or two.
- Store jar in a cool, dark place for 60 days. Note: you may use it sooner but it won’t be as potent. The longer it soaks the better.
- Mark your calendar or label your jar with the date you made it. You don’t want to forget when you started your tincture.
- Shake the jar thoroughly every day, making sure to keep the plant matter from coagulating in the bottom of the jar. You might even turn the jars upside down every other day to help keep the plant material mixed in.
- When it is ready, shake well one last time and remove the lid.
- Bake your jar on a cookie sheet (to prevent spilling) at 170 F (or lowest setting possible) for 20 – 30 minutes in the oven to fully decarboxylate it. Be careful not to burn the weed though. Toaster ovens work well.
- Allow the jar to cool then strain through cheesecloth or strainer into a large bowl, making sure to squeeze or press all the glycerin out of the plant matter.
- Strain liquid a second time, funneling the tincture into medicine droppers or another mason jar for storage.