Alaska has had legal recreational marijuana since 2014. Now that all the regulations are in place, and storefronts have finally opened their doors to the public, figuring out how to buy legal weed in Alaska is easy.
Alaska has always had some of the most liberal pot laws in the country. So if you’re a pot tourist looking for a new destination, Alaska is a great bet. This simple, comprehensive guide explains the fastest and easiest way to enjoy recreational cannabis in The Last Frontier.
What To Know About Recreational Weed Laws In Alaska
Alaska’s weed laws have some quirks that you’ll want to know about. In many respects, they’re basically the same as many of the other states where the adult use of cannabis is legal. Alaska even simplifies things since it has the same rules for residents and visitors alike.
But one major difference between Alaska and states like Colorado and Oregon has to do with the type of cannabis product you want to buy.
However, according to Alaska’s Division of Public Health, adults 21 years and over can personally possess up to one ounce of dried cannabis. Furthermore, stores are allowed to sell you that much at one time.
So even if you’re a visitor, you can purchase and possess up to 28 grams of flower. You can also gift up to an ounce to anyone else over 21, as long as no money or other kind of payment changes hands.
Before You Leave For Alaska
Alaska makes buying legal weed simple. Under the state’s legal cannabis law, anyone 21 years of age or older can purchase and use recreational marijuana in a private place.
So, you don’t need to live in the state, have an Alaska address, or even an Alaska ID. All you’ll need is some kind of government-issued ID, literally from anywhere in the world, that verifies you are of legal age to purchase and consume cannabis. Even better, you don’t need any special card or documentation for recreational purchases or use.
You will need cash. Federal prohibitions prevent legal cannabis businesses from using banks and other financial services.
It’s also a great idea to do a bit of research before heading to Alaska. The hardest part about finding out how to buy legal weed in Alaska is locating the perfect retail store for your needs.
Alaska is an enormous state, and retail cannabis stores are mostly located in major cities like Anchorage and Juneau. Even then, there aren’t that many. So if you’ll be in a smaller town or rural Alaska, you’ll likely have to make a special trip.
One last thing. Earlier this year, it was super-hard figuring out how to buy legal weed in Alaska. And that’s because many stores simply ran out of product. Unable to keep supply up with demand, some storefronts, including every store in Fairbanks, have had to close their doors.
How To Buy Legal Weed In Alaska Once You Arrive
Buying legal weed in Alaska as a tourist couldn’t be easier. Just make sure you have your ID with you, and head to any recreational cannabis store you want.
Spend a little time exploring cannabis in Alaska, and you’re bound to hear about the Alaska Cannabis Club. This is a private, membership-only organization that serves the medical cannabis community.
Since logistical reasons make it hard for some medical patients to find cannabis in Alaska, the Alaska Cannabis Club connects medical marijuana cardholders in need with those who have green.
Interestingly, the Alaska Cannabis Club offers members a secure downtown Anchorage location for public cannabis use. Club members can consume cannabis inside the Clubhouse. The bad news for visitors is that you’ll need an Alaska medical marijuana card to join.
So for visitors, the only option is to visit a state-licensed retail cannabis store and consume your cannabis in private.
What To Expect At The Weed Store
Once you’ve found and located the perfect recreational storefront, here’s how to buy legal weed in Alaska.
- Bring your documents. Make sure to bring your government-issued ID with you.
- Register. When you enter, expect some security. The front-desk clerk will check your ID and verify your age. After this process, you’ll hear a small buzz letting you through the door to the actual retail space. Congrats, you’re in!
- Take your time. Don’t be shy about looking around and asking questions about products that are unfamiliar or exciting to you. Currently, the most popular cannabis products in Alaska are edibles and high-THC flower. Budtenders will help you decide, so don’t forget to tip!
- Buy wisely. When you enter the retail space, try to contain your excitement! If you’re new to dispensaries, you’ll be overwhelmed by the choices. And since you can buy up to an ounce of flower in a single transaction, there’s a risk you’ll purchase way more than you could ever hope to smoke or eat during your trip! Fortunately, you can gift any of your leftovers.
- Don’t hang around. Finally, absolutely do not touch or open your products after you buy them. Your budtender will package your goodies up in a discreet container. You may be excited to peep at them on your way out of the store. But it’s illegal to consume cannabis in public. And weed stores are tightly regulated and could get in serious trouble for this. So once you receive your purchase, it’s time to leave. Get a safe distance away from the store before you peep your stash.
Can You Get Your Weed Delivered In Alaska?
Given how far many folks have to travel to get to one of the few legal weed stores in Alaska that still have product, delivery services aren’t very practical. At least not for recreational cannabis customers.
Medical marijuana patients in Alaska are eligible for home delivery services. But recreational users are out of luck. You’ll have to buy your weed in person. As usual, there are businesses that advertise as recreational weed delivery services. But these are highly illegal, so beware.
Where You Can Enjoy Your Legal Weed
Congratulations, you now know how to buy legal weed in Alaska! All that cannabis is yours to enjoy. But one thing you can’t do is enjoy it anywhere in public. You also can’t consume cannabis in public parks, as these are federal lands and therefore subject to the federal prohibition on cannabis. Legally, you can only consume cannabis, smoking or otherwise, in a private residence.
So remember, you need a private place to toke up. Your car won’t work because you could get slapped with a DUI. Also keep away from schools, restaurants, and other public places. Municipalities are permitted to set their own, stricter rules about consuming weed. So make sure to check the laws where you’re staying.
Final Hit: How To Buy Legal Weed In Alaska
To summarize, here’s how to buy legal weed in Alaska:
- Paperwork. A government-issued photo ID from anywhere verifying you are 21 years of age or older.
- Do some research ahead of time to find the retail locations that suit your vibe and your needs, and that actually have products in stock!
- Check out the specific cannabis laws in the city you’ll be buying and consuming cannabis in.
- Bring cash, show your ID at the weed store, and buy! Remember, you can only get edibles and flower in Alaska. No hash or concentrates.
- Enjoy your legal cannabis in a private place.