Are you an out-of-stater who wants to know how to buy legal weed in Colorado? Fortunately, with the oldest recreational cannabis program in the country, Colorado makes it easy and straightforward to buy legal weed.
This simple, comprehensive guide explains the fastest and easiest way to enjoy recreational cannabis in The Centennial State.
What To Know About Recreational Weed Laws in Colorado
Way back in December of 2012, Colorado voters passed Amendment 64, which legalized the possession and sale of marijuana. At the time, the law made Colorado one of just two places in the world where adults could legally possess and consume weed.
On New Year’s Day 2014, Colorado’s regulatory framework went into full-effect. And ever since, retail sales have been booming.
Through dedicated storefronts, customers can purchase any cannabis product, including edibles and concentrates. Furthermore, Colorado makes only minor distinctions between residents and tourists when it comes to their legal weed laws.
Before You Leave For Colorado
Colorado makes buying legal weed simple. Under the state’s legal cannabis law, anyone 21 years of age or older can purchase and use recreational marijuana in a private place.
So, you don’t need to live in the state, have a Colorado address, or even a Colorado ID. All you’ll need is some kind of government-issued ID that verifies you are of legal age to purchase and consume cannabis. Even better, you don’t need any special card or documentation for recreational purchases or use.
One last thing you’ll need is cash. Federal prohibitions prevent legal cannabis businesses from using banks and other financial services.
But if traveling with cash makes you nervous, there is an alternative. Colorado is the home of CanPay, a revolutionary debit payment solution for folks who want to buy cannabis. Using an app that links to your debit card, CanPay lets you purchase weed legally without cash.
Head Out From Colorado’s Big Cities
Finally, you’ll want to really do your research before you travel. Despite Colorado’s progressive marijuana laws, the state is a bit stingy when it comes to passing out licenses for retail weed stores.
On top of that, many of the larger cities in Colorado have banned recreational weed sales altogether. As a result, you’ll have to pop over to the smaller towns and hamlets that ring the larger city centers.
Things get a little more complicated when you realize that pot stores vary quite a bit, from upscale boutiques to earthy mom-and-pop shops. And not all of them carry the same kinds of products.
So before you leave, it’s best to check out this comprehensive list of legal retail weed stores in Colorado. That way, you can map exactly where you’ll need to go to find the exact types of cannabis products you’re looking for.
How To Buy Legal Weed In Colorado Once You Arrive
Buying legal weed in Colorado as a tourist is fairly easy, though there are some things to keep in mind. Just make sure you have your government-issued ID with you. Then you can head to any recreational cannabis store you want!
There is, however, one thing to keep in mind. If you don’t have a Colorado ID, you’ll be treated as a non-Coloradan. But don’t worry. This just means you can’t buy as much cannabis as residents.
But you can still buy plenty. Specifically, out-of-state visitors can purchase 7 grams (about a quarter ounce) of dried flower, whereas Coloradans can purchase up to a full ounce. The limits are higher for edibles, concentrates, topicals, and other products.
Additionally, the 7-gram rule is only a limit on your purchases at any one time. You are still legally allowed to possess up to one ounce of cannabis on your person.
Each locality in Colorado can set their own rules about selling and consuming weed. And many of them have. So make sure to check websites for the specific place you’ll be staying.
So with just your age-verifying ID, you can walk into any recreational cannabis dispensary just like you would a liquor store, and buy weed.
What To Expect At The Weed Store
Once you’ve chosen the perfect recreational storefront for you, here’s how to buy legal weed in Colorado.
- Bring your documents. Make sure to bring your government-issued ID with you.
- Register. When you enter, expect some security. The front-desk clerk will check your ID and verify your age. Then you’ll be added or checked into an electronic system that keeps a registry of all customers. After this process, you’ll hear a small buzz letting you through the door to the actual retail space. Congrats, you’re in!
- Take your time. Don’t be shy about looking around and asking questions about products that are unfamiliar or exciting to you. Enjoy the process of examining the different strains under lights and magnifying glasses. Take a close look at those sparkling trichomes. Budtenders will help you decide, so don’t forget to tip!
- Buy wisely. When you enter the retail space, try to contain your excitement! If you’re new to this, you’ll be overwhelmed by the choices. On top of that, budtenders are eager to upsell, and prices drop if you buy more. However, the Colorado limit for non-resident purchases, 7 grams, should help you avoid over-buying.
- Don’t hang around. Finally, absolutely do not touch or open your products after you buy them. Your budtender will package your goodies up in a discreet container. You may be excited to peep at them on your way out of the store. But it’s illegal to consume cannabis in public. And weed stores are tightly regulated and could get in serious trouble for this. So once you receive your purchase, it’s time to leave. Get a safe distance away from the store before you peep your stash.
Can You Get Your Weed Delivered In Colorado?
Curious about how to buy legal weed in Colorado through a delivery service? Unfortunately, there’s no legal cannabis delivery service at the moment in Colorado. The state senate did introduce a bill this year, SB 192, that would allow cannabis businesses and medical dispensaries to apply for a permit to home-deliver cannabis. But until that bill passes, you’ll have to purchase your weed in person at a legal weed store.
Where Can You Enjoy Your Legal Weed
Congratulations, you now know how to buy legal weed in Colorado! All that cannabis is yours to enjoy. But one thing you can’t do is enjoy it anywhere in public. Legally, you can only consume cannabis, smoking or otherwise, in a private residence.
Here are a couple other points of the legal weed law to keep in mind. First, you can only have up to an ounce on your person at any one time. You can also gift, or “transfer” without payment, up to one ounce of flower. Sell it, and you’re violating the law.
Colorado also allows anyone 21 and over to possess up to an ounce of hash and other concentrates. But beware, gifting hash or concentrates is a misdemeanor that can land you 6 to 18 months jail time and a $5,000 fine.
So remember, you need a private place to toke up. Your car won’t work because you could get slapped with a DUI. Colorado, however, has gained a reputation for its cannabis party buses and limos. You are allowed to smoke in the rear passenger area of such vehicles if the driver allows it.
Finally, if you’re staying in a hotel, make sure you ask about smoking in your room. The Colorado Clean Indoor Air Act limits smoking to just 25 percent of all hotel rooms. Smoking on balconies is also technically illegal.
Final Hit: How To Buy Legal Weed In Colorado
So to sum up, here’s how to buy legal weed in Colorado.
- Paperwork. A government-issued photo ID verifying you are of-age.
- Do some research ahead of time to find the retail locations that suit your vibe and your needs.
- Check out the specific cannabis laws in the city you’ll be buying and consuming cannabis in.
- Register at a dispensary and buy!
- Enjoy your legal cannabis in a private place.