Trim…What Is It Good For?
For a while, cannabis growers were looking for ways to dispose of their cannabis leaves or trimmings. The nug is the only part that is smoked, so they saw no use for it. In fact, most people would be off-put by a leaf contributing to the weight of their bag of weed. Instead of throwing away trim, cannabis cultivators are finding ways to utilize it. Trim contains some cannabinoids like CBD and THC. With a large amount of trimmings, you can make all kinds of marijuana products with medical benefits.
One way to ensure your trim doesn’t go to waste is by using it to make edibles. You can use a huge quantity of trim in place of full cannabis nugs when making cannabutter. Save your buds for blunts and bongs which can’t utilize marijuana leaves.
To make cannabis-infused meals with leaves gather 4 ounces of trim and 2 cups of butter or coconut oil. You’ll also need a big saucepan, wooden spoon, large bowl, cheesecloth, and string.
First, place 2 cups of water and all materials into the saucepan. Next, simmer and stir for 30 minutes. Then, use the cloth and string to strain the mixture into the bowl. Finally, store the block of oddly colored butter in the fridge.
There are a couple of ways to turn your trimmings into potent cannabis concentrates. However, you’ll need to stockpile trim to get a strong extract. Weed leaves contain traces of trichomes which are small glands that produce cannabinoids and terpenes.
BHO: If you use larger quantities of it, trim can be used in the place of nugs when making butane hash oil. Just fill a blasting tube with trim and run butane through it. Then, purge out the butane as you would with any other BHO.
Hash: If you don’t wanna risk any explosive surprises you can extract hash from the leaves without the use of solvents like butane. You’ll just need a fine screen to sift the trimmings.
First, crumble the dry trimmings over a fine screen onto a flat surface. Shake and tap the screen so that resin falls through somewhere it will be easy to scrape up. You can use a second, finer screen to get a purer hash with mostly trichomes and less plant matter.
Put the resin in parchment, wrap it in tinfoil and throw it in the oven at 347 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Finally, take it out and press it into a puck for your final product of hash.
Cannabis has been found to be good for the skin. However, it would have to be in the form of an ointment or topical cream. The topicals can be used to treat skin diseases and pain from conditions like arthritis. Fortunately, trim can be used to make some.
500 grams coconut oil
1-ounce weed trimmings
30 grams Beeswax
1. Grind and decarboxylate your herbs.
2. Turn slow cooker to low heat and drop coconut oil in. As it melts, throw decarboxylated cannabis into the mix.
3. Do not allow the oil to boil. Cook for 2 to 4 days only on when you are home. Aim for 48 hours of cooking total.
4. After 48 hours turn off the slow cooker and let the oil cool entirely.
5. Strain the coconut oil out of the plant matter using the cheesecloth, funnel and large pot. Strain as much as possible into the pot.
6. Clean out the slow cooker and then put the beeswax in at a low heat. Once it melts, mix your cannabis coconut oil in and then turn the heat off.
7. You can add things that are good for your skin like Vitamin E oil if you want. Once everything is mixed turn off the heat, cool, and pour the mixture into airtight glass containers.
Keep it in a cool dark place when you’re not using it.