Nevada, along with Massachusetts, Maine, and California, legalized adult recreational cannabis use in November 2016. And while legal recreational sales won’t hit California until 2018, the ball is already rolling in Nevada. In fact, legal weed sales began in Nevada just over a month ago, on July 1. In one of the top tourist destinations in the United States, Las Vegas, sales are already booming. So, how to buy legal weed in Nevada?
This simple, complete guide explains the best way to enjoy recreational cannabis in Nevada.
What To Know About Recreational Weed Laws in Nevada
As of July 1, Nevada only licensed select cannabis dispensaries to sell cannabis products for recreational use.
As part of the state’s “early start” program, city officials can permit medical cannabis dispensaries to sell recreational weed, even as businesses wait for licenses from the state.
In Las Vegas, the most popular destination for tourists, 37 retail outlets received licenses from state regulators.
What makes Nevada unique, compared to other legal weed states, is that recreational weed is sold from medical dispensaries. Many other states keep the two completely separate.
Before You Leave For Nevada
Nevada makes buying legal weed simple. Under the state’s legal cannabis law, anyone 21 years of age or older can purchase and use recreational marijuana in a private place.
So, you don’t need to live in the state, have a Nevada address, or even a Nevada ID. All you’ll need is some kind of government-issued ID that verifies you are of legal age to purchase and consume cannabis. Even better, you don’t need any special card or documentation for recreational purchases or use.
You’ll also need cash. Federal prohibitions prevent legal cannabis businesses from using banks and other financial services. So for now, recreational businesses are cash only at the point of sale.
Finally, it’s a really good idea to do a bit of research before you leave. The hardest part about finding out how to buy legal weed in Nevada is locating the dispensary that carries the strains and products that meet your needs.
And there’s one more important reason to plan your weed trip a bit in advance. Due to a strange legal snafu, some dispensaries might run out of product for recreational consumers as early as August!
When recreational sales went into effect on July 1, medical dispensaries could sell anything they had in stock. But they can’t sell any re-stocked inventory for rec customers. Nevada has made some progress on the issue, and the supply concern is becoming less of a problem.
The point is: call around to find a dispensary with recreational products in stock.
How To Buy Legal Weed In Nevada Once You Arrive
Buying legal weed in Nevada as a visitor couldn’t be easier. Just make sure you have your ID with you, and head to any medical marijuana dispensary that has been approved for recreational sales.
That’s it. There’s no required paperwork or special documentation. Nevada doesn’t even keep a record of what you’re buying or who’s buying it.
The personal possession rules are also fairly standard. You can individually purchase, possess, and gift up to an ounce of dried flower. The limit for hash and other THC concentrates is 3.5 grams, or an eighth ounce.
What To Expect At The Dispensary
Once you’ve chosen the perfect recreational storefront for you, here’s how to buy legal weed in Nevada.
- Bring your documents. Make sure to bring your government-issued ID with you verifying you are 21 years old or older.
- Enter the dispensary. When you enter the dispensary, expect some security. The front-desk clerk will check your ID and verify your age. Medical and recreational customers both use the same storefront. But on the inside, medical cannabis patients and recreational customers complete their purchases in different rooms.
- Take your time. Don’t be shy about looking around and asking questions about products that are unfamiliar or exciting to you. Enjoy the process of examining the different strains under lights and magnifying glasses. Take a close look at those sparkling trichomes. Budtenders will help you decide, so don’t forget to tip!
- Buy wisely. When you enter the retail space, try to contain your excitement! If you’re new to this, you’ll be overwhelmed by the choices.
- Don’t hang around. Finally, absolutely do not touch or open your products after you buy them. Your budtender will package your goodies up in a discreet container. You may be excited to peep at them on your way out of the store. But it’s illegal to consume cannabis in public. And weed stores are tightly regulated and could get in serious trouble for this. So once you receive your purchase, it’s time to leave. Get a safe distance away from the store before you peep your stash.
Can You Get Your Weed Delivered In Nevada?
Curious about how to buy legal weed in Colorado through a delivery service? You’re in luck! Just last month, Nevada issued its first permits to legal marijuana delivery services. As demand increases, delivery services are only going to multiply.
So, yes, you can get your weed delivered right to your hotel room door in Nevada.
Where Can You Enjoy Your Legal Weed
Congratulations, you now know how to buy legal weed in Nevada and even get it delivered! All that cannabis is yours to enjoy. But one thing you can’t do is enjoy it anywhere in public. You also can’t consume cannabis in public parks, as these are federal lands and therefore subject to the federal prohibition on cannabis. Legally, you can only consume cannabis, smoking or otherwise, in a private residence.
So remember, you need a private place to toke up. Your car won’t work because you could get slapped with a DUI. Also keep away from schools, restaurants, and other public places. If you’re staying in a hotel, check their specific policies, or make sure to reserve a room that allows smoking.
Final Hit: How To Buy Legal Weed In Nevada
So to sum up, here’s how to buy legal weed in Nevada.
- Paperwork. A government-issued photo ID verifying you are of-age.
- Do some research beforehand to find the dispensaries that sell the strains and products that suit your needs. Remember, only some medical dispensaries are selling cannabis to both recreational and medical customers. Check ahead.
- Check out the specific cannabis laws in the city you’ll be buying and consuming cannabis in.
- Enter the dispensary, show your ID, and buy! You can possess up to an ounce of herb and an eighth of concentrates.
- Enjoy your legal cannabis in a private place.