Connect with us

Growers Can Apply to Supply Medical Marijuana to Research Schools

Growers Can Apply to Supply Medical Marijuana to Research Schools


Growers Can Apply to Supply Medical Marijuana to Research Schools

State officials are seeking companies to supply marijuana to eight research schools.

Medical marijuana research in Pennsylvania continues to move ahead. After some legal difficulties, and a few stops and starts, the state is now getting things lined up to begin research soon. Recently, the state finalized the eight schools that will conduct research. Now, state officials have released applications for companies to supply medical marijuana to research schools. When the research program is up and running, it will include a range of medical schools, medical marijuana growers, and medical marijuana dispensaries.

Applications to Become a Clinical Registrant

The state of Pennsylvania is now looking for marijuana growers and sellers to supply cannabis for research. The companies that will provide the marijuana will be placed in a special classification: Clinical Registrants (CRs).

Companies that want to participate in the program have until November 8 to turn in their paperwork. To apply, the business must either already own, or should be applying for, a grower/processor permit. Additionally, applicants need to also have or be applying for a dispensary permit.

From there, they also need to show proof of a contract with one of the eight medical marijuana research schools. More specifically, that contract should also spell out details about the research project.

“The clinical registrants will work hand-in-hand with the eight certified medical schools to conduct groundbreaking medical marijuana research,” Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel Levine said in an official press release.

“Together, these entities will come together to research the effect medical marijuana use may have on some of the most severe medical issues of our time. These studies have the potential to help cancer patients, veterans and individuals who are struggling with opioid use disorder.”

It’s unclear when the full research program will be up and running. But for now, the opening up of applications for medical marijuana suppliers seems to be the next step toward getting there.

How Pennsylvania’s Medical Marijuana Research Will Work

Here’s how the state’s research program will work:

For starters, the state approved eight universities and colleges to be official Academic Clinical Research Centers (ACRCs). These schools will be authorized to carry out medical marijuana research.

Importantly, the state has already selected and approved the eight schools. They are:

  • Drexel University College of Medicine, in Philadelphia
  • Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University, in Philadelphia
  • Perelman School of Medicine at University of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia
  • Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, in Philadelphia
  • Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University, in Philadelphia
  • Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, in Erie
  • Penn State College of Medicine, in Hershey
  • University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, in Pittsburgh

Interestingly, the state will not allow the schools to handle or work with actual cannabis. Instead, each school will need to partner with a cannabis company.

The companies will provide marijuana. Additionally, they will work directly with patients to gather raw data.

Within these partnerships, the schools will design research projects and direct the cannabis supplier on what data they need. From there, researchers will analyze the raw data provided to them by the cannabis company partners.

More in Science

To Top