Anyone familiar with the world of cannabis culture has probably at some point heard about moon rocks. Despite the fact that moon rocks are one of the strongest forms of marijuana anywhere in the world, these little treasures are still relatively obscure. But not anymore. This guide to moon rocks will cover everything you need to know so you can discover the mind-blowing joys of these super potent nugs.
Moon Rocks Terminology
First things first. Let’s get our vocab straight: the term moon rock is sometimes used to describe pure MDMA crystals. But that’s not what we’re talking about here. We’re talking about cannabis moon rock. You might also hear people refer to it as cannabis caviar.
What Are Moon Rocks?
Moon rocks are a cannabis enthusiasts dream come true. Strictly speaking, the moon rock isn’t an exact strain. They’re nugs of cannabis—oftentimes Girl Scout Cookies—that have been soaked in hash oil and then covered with a rich layer of pure kief.
Where Do Moon Rocks Come From?
While the precise origins of these genius pot creations are hard to track down, most people point to rapper turned cannabis entrepreneur, Kurupt, as one possibility. The L.A.-based artist and business person has his own trademarked line of moon rocks called “Kurupt’s Moonrock.”
The company’s website claims that they were invented by Kurupt and fellow rapper Dr. Zodiak. But beyond the name brand Kurupt’s Moonrock, moon rocks or variations on moon rock have also been sold at dispensaries around the country.
In fact, dispensaries in Colorado have been known to sell different variations on moon rock for as much as $1,400 an ounce. However, if you don’t have access to a dispensary, making moon rocks at home is a relatively simple and rewarding process.
What You’ll Need to Make Moon Rocks
- Kief – also known as dry sift or pollen, is a concentrated form of cannabis. It’s made by removing the trichomes from the cannabis flower.
- Trichomes – are the tiny crystal-like balls that form on the leaves of the cannabis plant. These crystals contain the highest concentration of cannabinoids compared to any other part of the cannabis plant.
- Sift or Silk Screen Material (Kief Catcher) – can be used to separate the crystals from the rest of the bud, producing an elegant and adamant powder—kief.
- Hash Oil – is produced by solvent extraction of marijuana and hashish. After filtering and evaporating the solvent, a sticky resinous dark liquid with a strong herbal odor (remarkably different from the peculiar odor of hemp) remains.
- Dropper – make an excellent choice for dispensing many liquid products in small volumes, such as essential oils, extracts, fragrances and more.
- Small Brush
How To Make A Moon Rock
- Using your fingers, break off a nice size bud. Remember, the more compact the bud, the easier it will be to maneuver.
- Using a small brush or dropper, drizzle hash oil over the entire bud. You want the bud to be fully covered. However, it should not be dripping.
- Using the tweezers, pick up the oil coated bud and drop it into the kief powder. Pick up the bud and rotate to make sure all of the sides are evenly coated with a nice layer of kief.
- Now, set the bud aside to dry.
- Once thoroughly dried, smoke your moon rock and enjoy.
How To Smoke A Moon Rock
Now that you’ve purchased or made your own moon rocks, it’s time to smoke them. You can use moon rocks pretty much the same way you use regular bud. The only thing you need to watch out for is that nice layer of kief. When you break up a moon rock, be sure you don’t lose any of your kief.
For that reason, you probably want to avoid grinders and carefully use a sharp knife instead. After you chop up your moon rock, roll it up into a joint, pack a bowl, or load it into a water pipe. Pretty much anything.
You can even use these super potent buds to make edibles. We recommend starting out with this recipe for mind-blowing moon rocks brownies. Whatever you do with your moon rock, you should be extra careful to avoid wasting anything.
Since moon rock is three separate forms of cannabis all wrapped up into a single nug, and since these amazing creations can be a little on the spendy side, you don’t want any of it to go to waste.
Final Hit: Moon Rocks
Simply put, moon rocks are the strongest form of cannabis you’ll find anywhere. Period. The reasons for this should be obvious. Many people, including Kurupt, claim that this combination produces a product with 51.2% THC. That’s so much THC that just a puff or two could send even the most seasoned pot smoker sky high.