While there is no shortage of celebrities who love weed, Seth Rogen stands out as one of the biggest cannabis-loving stars. And now, he’s taking his love for marijuana into the business world. The comedian and actor has teamed up with fellow actor Evan Goldberg to launch a brand new cannabis company.
Today is the official launch of Rogen’s and Goldberg’s cannabis company, which they are calling Houseplant.
Rogen and Goldberg are both originally from Canada. And their cannabis company is based in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Importantly, Houseplant is operating in collaboration with Canadian cannabis giant Canopy Growth. Within this partnership, Rogen and Goldberg said their company will focus on developing a line of recreational cannabis products. Additionally, they said Houseplant will also explore ways to provide consumer education about marijuana.
“We are so proud to be launching in Canada, our home,” Goldberg said in a press release published today. “After spending five years diligently preparing for the launch of this company, we’re excited to be able to share our passion for cannabis with Canadians in this way.”
According to the press release, Houseplant’s first product is set to hit shelves next month. This pilot product will be the company’s own sativa strain, called simply Houseplant Sativa.
From there, Rogen and Goldberg said the company will move on to rolling out its other products. Most immediately, this will include Houseplant Hybrid and Houseplant Indica.
Additionally, Rogen and Goldberg also plan to introduce cannabis softgels and pre-rolled joints. All of these products will gradually become available to consumers throughout 2019.
For now, the company is focusing on the Canadian market. More specifically, Rogen and Goldberg plan to make their products available in provincially operated recreational retailers. Their products will also be available online in British Columbia.
Celebrities Moving Into the Green Rush
This isn’t the first time celebrities have pivoted into the legal cannabis industry. In fact, there is a large and constantly growing list of celebs who have made moves into the industry.
- Snoop Dogg, who has made multiple cannabis business ventures.
- Wiz Khalifa, who has developed his own line of marijuana strains and other cannabis products.
- Willie Nelson, who has his own line of cannabis strains under the brand name “Willie’s Reserve.”
- Martha Stewart, who once had a TV show with Snoop. More recently, she announced a partnership with Canopy Growth. Together, they are developing a line of CBD products, beginning with pet products.
- Former NFL player Calvin Johnson recently received approval to open a marijuana dispensary in Michigan.
- Freddie Gibbs, who has developed his own strain called Freddie Kane OG.
- The Game, who created a line of THC-infused drinks called G Drinks.
- Whoopi Goldberg, developed a line of cannabis products specifically for women.
Obviously, this list is not comprehensive. And there are even more celebrities involved tangentially in cannabis, as investors.
This list includes people like Jim Belushi, Gene Simmons, Mike Tyson, Cliff Robinson, Melissa Etheridge, and many more.